Friday, June 16, 2006

The Timekept City

Haha, writing that last post reminded me of an experience I had about 3 years ago in my last year of University...

..I was attending the London Environment and Futures conference, and the Major was there. In one of the breaks, I spoke to a guardian journalist, who wanted to hear what people suggested he should ask the Major about London. I chimed in with a typical "what is London for?"... and during the panel at the end of the show, the Major was asked and answered this question!

But I wish that every Major of London and every British MP had been meditating on the words of Elliot since they were written last century:

When the Stranger says: "What is the meaning of this city ?
Do you huddle close together because you love each other?"
What will you answer? "We all dwell together
To make money from each other"? or "This is a community"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home